Susan Ann Walters is the sisters of my wife's 2nd Great Grandfather, Joseph Walters.
Susan Walters was born 9 March 1842 in Fulton County, Illinois. She is the only daughter of John Walters and Elizabeth Barker. Her mother, Elizabeth, passed away when Susan was only 2 years old. It appears Susan was most likely raised by her step mother, Elizabeth Jones, who was described as a neighbor widow. This Elizabeth married John Walters in 1847, so it is unclear whom might have assisted John during the years 1844 through 1847.
The first record we find for Susan is the 1850 Federal Census. She is living with her father, John Walters, and his 2nd wife, Elizabeth Jones. They reside in Joshua Township, Fulton County, Illinois.
Susan marries John McCarty in Fulton County, Illinois on 19 August 1858. I can't find John and Susan in the 1860 Federal Census. Her older brothers, Thomas and John left for Washington in 1859. Her parents and brothers Joseph and Cannah are in Joshua Township and her brother Daniel is in Farmers Township. She can't be found.
Between 1860 and 1870 Susan and John have four children. We find the family with these four children in the 1870 Federal Census. They are now in Farmers, Fulton County, Illinois. John's occupation is farming. Three more children are born before 1880. In 1880 the are found in Putnam, Fulton County, Illinois.
Sometime before 1900 the family moves to Walla Walla, Walla Walla County, Washington. They are most likely moving there to be with Susan's older brothers, Thomas and John. They are found in the Wilson Creek Precinct in the 1900 Census. Living a few doors down is her brother, Thomas Walters, and cousin, Joseph Barker. Living with her is only one of her children, Lydia, with her husband and 3 children. The 1900 Census notes that Susan has given birth to 13 children but only 5 are living when the census is taken.
Of the 13 children born to Susan Ann Walters and John McCarty we can only find seven. Here are the ones we know of:
1. Thomas Jefferson McCarty - born 7 Feb 1861 in Fulton County, IL, dies Jan 1937 in McDonough County, IL. Unknown if married.
2. Charles Monroe McCarty - born 7 Oct 1862 in Fulton County, IL, dies 21 Sep 1951. Marries Amanda Heffner.
3. Lydia Amanda McCarty - born June 1866 in Fulton County, IL, dies 14 February 1946 in Wilbur, Lincoln County, Washington. Marries Charles McCumber.
4. Mary L McCarty - born about 1866 in Fulton County, IL. Death unknown.
5. Amanda P McCarty - born about 1871 in Fulton County, IL. Death unknown.
6. Phoebe F McCarty - born March 1874 in Fulton County, IL, dies 1 Oct 1902 in Lincoln County, WA. Marries William Stookey.
7. Ida McCarty - born about 1879 in Fulton County, IL. Death unknown.
Susan Ann Walters dies 18 May 1908. She is buried in the Point Pleasant Cemetery in Harris Township, Fulton County, Illinois. Her headstone is below.