Mary E Mann is my 3rd Great Grand Aunt.
Mary is the daughter of William Mann and Lucinda McKinney.
Mary was born in July 1845 in Alabama. The first record we find for Mary is the 1850 Federal Census where she is living with her family in Madison County, Alabama - so we can assume she was most likely born in Madison County. They are living in District 35, her father is listed as a farmer.
They are still living in Madison County in the 1860 Federal Census, this time it is listed as the South Eastern Division. Her father is still farming.
In the 1870 Federal Census Mary is still living with her mother, Lucinda. Her father has passed away by this time. Her brother, Thomas, is listed as head of household, yet the value of property is listed next to Lucinda. So we can assume they are in Lucinda's home, not Thomas's. Thomas is farming. Mary is listed as without occupation. She marries later this year to Isaac Rice. Her and Isaac marry 8 August 1870 in Madison County, Alabama.
Mary and Isaac are still living in Madison County, Alabama in the 1880 Federal Census. They have four children living at home. Isaac is listed as a farmer. The census notes that Isaac has been unemployed for 4 months during the census year.
The next census is the 1900 Federal Census. This census notes that Mary is the mother of eight children but only four are living. There are 3 children living at home. Next door is her old child, Lillian Lucinda "Lou" Mann, married to George White. Isaac is still farming, they are now homeowners in 1900.
Mary dies sometime before 1910, presumably in Madison County. Isaac remarries in 1910 to Lovina Caroline "Callie" Blackburn. Callie's maiden name is Cobb, this is her second marriage also. It is not known where Mary is buried.
Mary and Issac had the following children:
1. Lillian Lucinda "Lou" Rice - born in June 1871 in Madison County, Alabama. Dies 24 May 1943 in Decatur, Morgan County, Alabama. Marries George White.
2. James H Rice - born about 1875 in Madison County, Alabama. Dies before 1900. Marriage unknown.
3. William Turner Rice - born 26 November 1876 in Madison County, Alabama. Dies 21 Dec 1958 in rural Madison County, Alabama. Married Eliza Jane Hornbuckle.
4. Joseph Lee Rice - born February 1878 in Madison County, Alabama. Death unknown. Marries Ethel, maiden known unknown.
5. John Crawford Rice - born 26 December 1884 in Madison County, Alabama. Death unknown. Marries Mamie, maiden name unknown.
We do know that Mary had at least 3 more children - all who died before 1900.