Elizabeth Walker Charles was born 21 February 1799 in Fryeburg, Maine or Carroll, New Hampshire. The locations are close and other researchers have noted both as the birth location of Elizabeth. She is the eldest daughter of Joseph Charles and Dorthea Abbott.
Elizabeth married Daniel Curtis on 27 December 1818 in Wethersfield, Genesee County, New York. This marriage date can be found on the War of 1812 Pension Application that Elizabeth filed after the death of Daniel. A copy is pasted here. This document also notes the company Daniel fought with, his service dates, as well has his death date.
The first record found for Elizabeth is the 1850 Federal Census. Elizabeth is residing in Java, Wyoming County, New York. There are five other Curtis' living in the household other than Elizabeth and Daniel, all presumably children. They are Oliver, Sarah, Emily, James and Annette. Daniel's profession is listed as farmer. It's noted that Elizabeth's birth state is listed as Maine.
The next Federal Census of 1860 finds the family living in Wethersfield, Wyoming County, New York. Daniel is still farming. His eldest son, Oliver, is living in the household with his wife Huldah. The value of real estate is noted as $4200 and personal belongings are valued at $1250 - these values are next to Oliver's name, not Daniel. It appears that Oliver and Huldah also have two children living in the household, Effa and Estella.
Elizabeth's husband, Daniel, passes away in December of 1865. He is buried in the Wethersfield Cemetery. In the next Federal Census of 1870 Elizabeth is living with her son, James, and his wife and children. James' profession is listed as a cheese maker. The family is still residing in Wethersfield, Wyoming County, New York. This is the last known record for Elizabeth. She passes away 9 December 1879 in Wethersfield, Wyoming County, New York. She is buried in the Wethersfield Cemetery. Photo of headstone below.
Elizabeth Walker Charles and Daniel Curtis had the following children:
1. Oliver Perry Curtis - born 17 Aug 1819 in Wethersfield, Genesee County, New York. Dies 1872 in Wethersfield, Wyoming County, New York. Married Huldah Saxton.
2. Sarah Curtis - born about 1824 in New York. Death unknown.
3. Emily Curtis - born 2 October 1828 in New York. Dies 1 November 1916 in Wethersfield, Wyoming County, New York. Marries Enoch Ikeler.
4. James Curtis - born about 1832 in New York. Death unknown. Married Lanny (surname unknown).
5. Annette Curtis - born 21 April 1834 in Java, Wyoming County, New York. Died 26 April 1891 in Seward, Winnebago County, Illinois. Married Hervey Seymour Cleveland.