Joseph Newton Balderston is the 2nd Great Grandfather of my wife.
Joseph is the eldest son to Mary Brenn, the second wife of Stephen Balderston. Joseph was born 14 January 1861 in Magnolia, Putnam County, Illinois.
The first record found for Joseph is the 1865 Illinois State Census. The family is living in Magnolia, Putnam County, Illinois. This census did not list the names of the children so it is assumed that Joseph is the male under the age of 10. This was an agriculture census; it listed the value of livestock for the Balderston household at $125.
The 1870 Federal Census finds Joseph living with his family still in Magnolia, Putnam County, Illinois. The census indicates that Joseph, age 9, had attended school within the year. No value is listed for the real estate so one would assume they are renting. Personal belongings for the family are valued at $100.
We find Joseph in 1880 as a servant on a farm, living with John Patterson and family. The eldest child in the house, Adah Patterson, is Joseph's future wife. They are living in Greenbush, Warren County, Illinois. The young couple will wed 27 October, 1885 in Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois.
The first record as a couple is the 1900 Federal Census. The couple have now been married 14 years and have 6 children. Joseph's profession is listed as a farmer. They are living in Avon, Fulton County, Illinois. Adah has given birth to 6 children and all are still living at the time the census is taken.
By 1910 the family is still farming but they have moved to Highland, Adams County, Nebraska. Adah has given birth to three more children - all nine are still living when the census is taken. The eldest daughter, Dora Balderston, has married and moved out; the remaining 8 children are all living at home.
The family has moved again before the 1920 Federal Census. They are now residing in Magee, Yuma County, Colorado. They are still farming. Only 3 children are left living at home. They are still living in Magee, Yuma County, Colorado during the 1930 Federal Census, and Joseph is still farming.
Below are photo's from Father's Day 1945 taken somewhere in Denver, Colorado. These were taken approximately one year before Joseph passed away.
Joseph dies 17 December 1946 in Denver, Denver County, Colorado. He is buried in the Yuma Cemetery in Yuma County, Colorado. I don't have a picture of the gravestone. His wife, Adah, who passed away in 1935 is also buried in the Yuma Cemetery.
Joseph Newton Balderston and Adah Patterson had the following children:
1. Dora Balderston - born June 1888 in Illinois. Died 27 April 1981 in Grand Junction, Mesa County, Colorado. Married Charles Lamont Richardson.
2. Willis LeRoy Balderston - born 6 February 1890 in Illinois. Died 15 May 1973 in Ft Lupton, Weld County, Colorado. Married Mattie Eleanora Townsend.
3. Eric Newton Balderston - born 10 October 1892 in Illinois. Died 13 December 1966 in Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska. Married Anna Ethel Poag.
4. Clyde Balderston - born 30 June 1895 in Illinois. Died 24 May 1967 in Yuma, Yuma County, Colorado. Married Katherine Schwabauer.
5. Delbert Balderston - born 18 November 1897 in Avon, Fulton County, Illinois. Died 18 July 1945 in Yuma, Yuma County, Colorado. Married Lillian Isabell Briscoe.
6. Margarite Ione Balderston - born 21 May 1900 in Avon, Fulton County, Illinois. Died 7 August 1976 in Ceres, Stanislaus County, California. Married Henry McNeal.
7. Hazel Balderston - born 5 April 1902 in Illinois. Died 22 January 1996 in Denver, Denver County, Colorado. Married Leo Garber.
8. Malinda Jane Balderston - born 24 December 1903 in Illinois. Died 7 December 1994 in Yuma, Yuma County, Colorado. Married Joseph Earl Briscoe.
9. George Balderston - born 28 September 1907 in Nebraska. Died 5 December 1993 in Longmont, Boulder County, Colorado. Married Clara Kriss.